23 June 2009

10 Things Interview with Margaret Zox Brown

Margaret Zox Brown is next up in our 10 Things Interview Series. Margaret's colorful, abstract works can be viewed at Fresca Gallery here. Once again, questions are primarily submitted by Fresca Gallery patrons, employees and artists (although we recycle a few that we love).

Q1: What's your biggest source of inspiration?
Margaret Zox Brown: All my paintings come from my own drawings. I never know what I will look at and then see that will inspire me to draw. It could be a shape or a line or even a mood. Graceful curves, sensitive moments and unique shapes seem to catch my eye and result in my strongest drawings. And, it is the strongest drawings that inspire a subsequent painting.

Q2: What are 3 things you can't live without?
MZB: My children, exercise and nature.

Q3: Besides being an artist, what is your number one skill?
MZB:
I am a pretty good cook. I cook like I paint; creating as I go, completely messing up the environs where I am producing and not knowing really what the end product will be. But like my paintings, I usually am successful at producing a savory, unique blend.

Q4: What's your favorite book?
MZB: I have many from different periods of my life and that I adored because they satisfied different parts of me. When I was younger I loved "Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk for Marjorie herself with her familiar and very real dreams. And, more recently, the 2 that have stood out have been "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides for it's humility of ordinary people wanting to be accepted in life just for who they are and "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger for its ultimate romanticism.

Q5: Do you have a favorite artist?
MZB: Again not just one. But if I have to narrow it down it would be Paul Gauguin for color and Pablo Picasso for drawing.

Q6: Did you ever consider being anything other than an artist? If so, what?
MZB:
Other than being a mother, I have only wanted to be an artist.

Q7: What is the most intriguing place you've ever been?
MZB: I would say India because all the senses are tantalized: sights, sounds, smells, tastes.

Q8: Do you think that "good art" has to be more than a pretty picture?
MZB:
"Good art" is really a subjective term. For me if the art reveals intelligence, knowledge of movements in Art History, expresses a personal passion of the artist and causes the viewer to take pause then I would consider it to be "good art."

Q9: What's one piece of advice you would give to someone who wants to be an artist?
MZB: Keep making the art. You change. It changes. There are tons of obstacles for artists which will test you. But, just persevere. It is always and most definitely worth it in the end.

Q10: Do you have a favorite quote?
MZB:
"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right," by Henry Ford. I think it says it all for an artist.

Stay tuned for our next edition of "10 Things...". To submit a question, email us at valerie@galleryfresca.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment