28 May 2009

Our first edition of the "10 things..." Interview

As a way to let the art world get to know the Fresca Gallery community, we will be holding periodic interviews with our artists, patrons and staff. The interviews will be 10 questions each and the topics will be selected from those submitted by various Fresca Gallery community members (plus a few repeats that we love). If you have a question you would like to submit, please email us at valerie@galleryfresca.com or post in the comment section.

First up in the hot seat is Valerie King, owner of Fresca Gallery:

Q1: Why did you start Fresca Gallery?
Valerie King: The idea started because of my brother - who is an artist in college. His work is amazing, but I don't think he yet has the business sense to get his work out there. I love public relations and marketing, so I thought I could help.

Q2: Where did the name Fresca come from?
VK: When Anne and I were traveling in Italy, we realized that we could create a business together that incorporated our talents, interests and the inspirations gathered from the Mediterranean culture. The idea has evolved to a gallery and design business. I fell in love with a little shop in England called "Fresh" and we chose the Italian translation, "Fresca" and that was it – off and running.

Q3: Do you have a favorite artist?
VK: My brother. And Anne!

Q4: All time favorite book?
VK: The worst question you could ask a bookworm! [laughs] I can't pick just one, but I would say my top three are Csardas, Pride and Prejudice and the House of Mirth. I've read them all at least 5 times...

Q5: Do you prefer cats or dogs?
VK: Dogs. I have two of them!

Q6: Do you have a favorite song?
VK: Right now? Probably "Fix It" by Ryan Adams.

Q7: What are three things you can't live without?
VK: Besides the obvious family, friends, boyfriend and dogs [laughs], I would say coffee, books and the ocean.

Q8: Did you ever think that you would own a gallery?
VK: Well, I do not have an art background, but have always been surrounded by art and artists through friends, my travel experiences and my general attraction to anything visual and aesthetically beautiful. I have always loved the creative energy that surrounds artists. This was a sudden chance to dive into that world, while supporting two great causes - charities and artists.

Q9: Any plans to open a physical gallery?
VK: Well, in my fantasies, yes. I would love to have galleries on both coasts - like Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon, for example - but since we have just opened Fresca Gallery online, it will be a while before we get to that point.

Q10: Any plans to expand the Fresca concept?
VK: Oh yes! But that's all I can say for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment